Access Your Data
Accessing Your Health Information
Community Health Group (CHG) is dedicated to improve your health and health care. That includes your health data. And now, CHG has made it easier for you to view your personal health information through an app on your phone!
Having access to your health data can help you make informed decisions about your health care.
Why should I access my health information?
Some health care decisions are easy, like getting a cast if you break your arm, but other situations are more complicated. Does your medical history mean surgery might be risky? Can your caregiver share your complete health history with a new doctor?
By using a phone app to access your health data, you can:
- Have some control over your health information.
- Make it easy to share your health information with doctors, caregivers, or anyone you choose.
- Get help managing and improving your health through apps on your phone.
How do I access my health information?
You can choose a phone app from CHG App Gallery. We have partnered with vendor to provide the App Gallery. Choose an app and then download it to your phone through your app store like Apple App Store or Google Play.
- Find the app you want to use in this list of approved applications (App Gallery).
- Download the app.
- Complete the account setup process.
- Use the app's menus and prompts to connect the app to your health plan.
- Provide your permission to share your health information with the app.
Is my health information private and secure?
As with any interaction over the internet, there is some risk. CHG takes your privacy and the security of your health data very seriously. That is why your data will never be shared without your express permission.
Once you choose to share your data with an app, CHG is no longer responsible for the security of that data. It is important to read the privacy and security policies for the phone app you choose since you will share your data with it.
It is also important to protect your phone from threats like theft and hacking. You should always keep your phone’s security settings on and up to date.
To remove access, call our Member Services Department available 24/7:
- Medi-Cal: 1-800-224-7766
- CommuniCare Advantage: 1-888-244-4430
- TTY: 1-855-266-4584
Community Health Group can only remove the future data sharing from the phone app. Any data the phone app has already downloaded from previous access might still be available through the app
Why is my health plan allowing apps to connect to my health information?
CHG is committed to maintaining and improving your health by providing access to quality care. This is a new way to access your health information. The federal government, the healthcare industry, and CHG are working towards these goals:
- Patient access - ensuring patients (like you) are informed about their own health and healthcare.
- Interoperability - which means CHG is making it easy to share your health data with your providers. You can choose to share the data with your doctors, your caregivers, and other people who are working to improve your health.
Some of these goals and rules are covered by a federal law (21st Century Cures Act). This is the law that requires CHG to make your health data easier for you to access.
What is the signup process like?
The first time you choose to share your data with a health phone app (3rd Party App), you must set up an account. You will need your Name, Date of Birth, CHG Plan Member ID, State or federal ID (CIN or MBI), Zip Code and a valid email address (one per member). Your app will walk you through a process like this:
- Click to Create an Account.
- Verify your identity.
- Add your email to the box and select to send code. (Only one email per person, cannot use one email for multiple family members).
- Add the code from the email to the account setup.
- Review the data sharing message!
- Approve to have your data shared with the phone app.
There are 2 Member IDs that you need.
- Your CHG Plan Member ID. This is listed on the member ID card provided to you by CHG. If you do not have this card, or are having trouble, please contact CHG’s Member Services Department at 1-800-224-7766.
- Your California State ID (CIN) for Medi-Cal Members or Federal ID (MBI) for D-SNP Members.
- Your California State ID is also called a CIN (Client Index Number). Your CIN is located on the benefits ID card (BIC) provided to you by the State of California. If you do not have this card, or are having issues with the CIN, you can contact CHG’s Member Services Department or call your local County of San Diego Social Services Agency at 1-866-262-9881. OR
- Your Federal ID is also called MBI (Member Beneficiary Identifier). Your MBI is located on the Medicare card provided to you by the Center for Medicare Services (CMS). If you do not have this card, or you are having issues, you can contact CHG’s Member Services Department or call 1-800-MEDICARE